6 Keys for a Godly Relationship
By: Isaac Nwadike
Here are the 6 things that help foster a Godly dating relationship.
1. Prayer- The first thing in any Godly relationship is prayer. Prayer is key because a relationship is not easy. Stay on your knees and pray for yourself and your partner because the enemy is constantly on the attack. When it comes to relationships, he will do anything to disrupt it.
Job 22:27- You will pray to him, and he will hear you, and you will fulfill your vows.
2. Honesty – Being honest with your partner provides a trust that is unbreakable. When couples are honest, the relationship thrives, and trust is built. Honesty gives room for couples to make mistakes and feel free to tell it. Honesty provides vulnerability which helps partners understand and be closer to each other.
Matthew 5:8- Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.
3. Sacrifice – Sacrifice in a dating relationship is big. I’m not talking about sacrificing food or money. I’m talking about sacrificing self, which is the hardest thing any person can do. Sometimes you must give up your own desires because it makes your partner uncomfortable. In my personal relationship, one thing I had to sacrifice to make my relationship work were the extra hours time I spent in the gym. When I was single, I could spend a lot of time there. But, when I started dating, I had to learn how to be efficient with my time so that the relationship could work.
Ephesians 5:2- And walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.
4. Trust- This is a very important key in a Godly relationship. Without trust, the relationship will crumble because there will always be doubt. When there is doubt, the enemy will use that to destroy the relationship and lead both partners away from each other. When trust is in the relationship, couples will move with freedom knowing that they have each other’s back.
Job 22:26- Then you will always trust in God and find that he is the source of your joy.
5. Laughter – I know this might sound crazy, but when couples can laugh together, it builds the relationship. When couples can have fun together, it makes both partners enjoy being next to each other. Laughter can actually help heal problems in the relationship because it will lead conversations and good communication between the couple.
Proverbs 17:22- a cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength.
6. Christ at the center- Even though this is last on the list, this is certainly not the least important and is must to be a Godly couple. When Christ is the center of the relationship, couples will not lean on themselves but will look to Christ’s example on how to treat their partner. They will try their best to follow his example of sacrifice, trust, honesty, prayer and even laughter. When Christ is the center, it will bring couples together so that they will have unity and one goal; to be like Christ. They always say the ideal Godly relationship is a like a triangle; God at the top of the point and the couple at the two ends connecting to each other and connecting to the top.
Proverbs 3:5-6- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.